It has to be one of the most romantic gestures ever. When Brad Pitt married Angelina Jolie at their family home, Chateau Miraval in Correns France, he gave her a locket containing a photograph of her late mother, Marcheline Bertrand. Angelina's mother, whom she adored, died of ovarian cancer in 2007 at the age of just 56. Brad and Angelina had been dating for two years but Marcheline did not live long enough to see the couple marry or to meet their brood.
By giving Angelina the locket, Brad ensured her mother's "presence" at the wedding and ensured she remained in everyone's thoughts throughout the day. Wedding lockets have long been a feature of Eastern cultures with Indian brides wearing a wedding locket on their big day. Now they are beginning to take off here.
At Lily Blanche requests for wedding lockets have soared in the past two years. As weddings becoming increasingly personalised, brides look to include meaningful gestures that have significance for them. The wedding locket, with the picture of a parent, grandparent or special friend who cannot make the big day, is a popular way to include them in proceedings and keep them close to your heart.
Six of the Best - Wedding Lockets
- The Memory Keeper Locket. Our special locket comes in sterling silver, 18 carat gold or rose gold vermeil. The Memory Keeper Locket opens and takes six photographs. It's a wonderful piece that can be filled with memories of the big day and makes a really special piece for a bride, mother of the bride or groom's mother. The locket is hallmarked by the Edinburgh Assay Office and is engraveable. Choice of chain lengths available.[gallery ids="945,946,947,948" type="rectangular"]
- Gold Love Lockets in Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby. These beautiful lockets contain a tiny diamond surrounded by precious stones. Chose from emerald, ruby or sapphire. The lockets in 18 carat gold vermeil are engravable and come on an 18 inch or 24 inch chain.[gallery ids="933,935,936" type="rectangular"]
- Gold Key Locket. This sterling silver filigree heart locket with a little key in 18 carat gold vermeil is one of our most popular pieces. It's a pretty and romantic piece which will go with almost any style for wedding dress. The locket opens to take two photographs or a lock of hair. Also available with a rose gold key.[gallery ids="930,931" type="rectangular"]
- Rose Gold Feather Locket. Feathers appear when angels are near is the saying which inspired this locket and it is especially relevant if the person you are commemorating by wearing it at your wedding has passed away. The locket can be engraved and can be teamed with matching earrings, bracelets and pendants so that the entire bridal party can participate.[gallery ids="938,939" type="rectangular"]
- Garnet Vintage Heart Locket. This stunning locket in sterling silver is a real statement piece. With a crimson heart-shaped garnet at its centre, it is the ultimate romantic locket. Hallmarked in Edinburgh, the locket looks fabulous on a bride who has red roses in her bouquet. LILY BLANCHE Garnet Vintage Heart Locket
- Gold and Sapphire Locket. This fabulous small locket is based on a gorgeous vintage piece in my grandmother's collection. Made of 18 carat gold vermeil, the locket opens to take a tiny photograph. It features areal sapphire at its centre so you can combine the "something blue" tradition.