Jewellery is not just an accessory, it can elevate your overall look and compliment your unique style. Choosing the right necklace length for you will help when ordering a new piece of jewellery whether it's a pendant necklace or a locket. Yet, picking the perfect length is no easy feat with so many necklace lengths to choose from. That's why we've put together our top tips on choosing the right necklace length for you.
Why Is Necklace Length Important?
Choosing the right necklace length is important to ensure that it fits at the right height for you and compliments your body shape and sense of style. The length of the necklace refers to how long the chain measures when it is unclasped and laid out. The length of a necklace is often measured in cm or inches in the jewellery industry. At Lily Blanche, we offer a range of lengths of necklaces ranging from 16 inches to 32 inches. A 16 inch chain is often referred to as choker necklace while a 24 inch necklace is commonly identified as a matinee length necklace.
How To Find The Right Necklace Length For You
To find the right necklace length for you, we recommend considering whether you will wear the necklace on its own or whether you will add a pendant or locket to the necklace. For example, you may want to consider a shorter length necklace if you plan to wear a small pendant and a longer one if you plan to wear a statement-making piece. You can start by measuring your necklace length at home. Simply follows the steps below:
- Undo the necklace
- Lay the necklace out on a flat surface.
- Use a tape measure to measure the necklace. Write down the measurement, either in cm or inches.
- Use this measurement to know what necklace length to choose when you are purchasing your jewellery.
If you don't have a necklace at home to measure, you can use our helpful visual guide below to help you choose the perfect necklace length. Please be aware that this is a guide and will depend on height and build.
How To Pick The Right Necklace Length For Someone Else
If you're choosing a necklace for someone else, getting the length right is essential. Here are our top tips on choosing the right necklace length for someone else (without asking them).
- Measure one of their necklaces: if you are able to, the best way to find out someone else's preferred necklace length is to measure a necklace that they already own. Preferably one that they often wear and adore!
- Consider their outfits: if they usually opt for low-cut tops, opting for a 16-20 inch may be best. If they prefer a high neck, a longer chain may be more suitable.
What Is The Different Necklace Lengths Available?
- Choker necklace length: a choker necklace usually measures 16 inches and is a highly popular size for children and small adults. A choker necklace will usually fall just above the collarbones.
- Princess necklace length: a princess necklace is a standard necklace length, ranging from 17 to 18 inches or 43-46 cm. This type of necklace usually sits below the collarbone. Our gemstone pendants are perfect for this type of necklace.
- Matinee necklace length: a matinee length necklace usually sits between the collarbone and the breastbone between 20 - 24 inches. It is a great length for layering with shorter necklaces and a fantastic length for pairing with a locket.
- Opera necklace length: an opera necklace length usually measures between 28 and 36 inches (71-91 cm) and usually sits below the breastbone.
What Is The Best Necklace Length For Me?
When choosing the best necklace length for you, there are numerous factors to consider. Firstly, consider the outfit you would like to wear the necklace with. For example, if the outfit has a high neckline, you may want to opt for a longer chain, around 24 - 30 inches. However, if you are planning to wear the necklace with a low-cut dress or top, opting for a 16 inch choker style necklace or an 18 inch necklace. It is also worth considering factors such as height and build. If you are taller, the necklace is likely to sit higher than it would on someone who has a shorter torso.
What Is The Most Popular Necklace Length?
A princess necklace is considered to be the most popular necklace length, measuring around 18 inches and can be worn with an array of outfits. However, it's important to consider the necklace length that best suits you.
How To Choose Necklace Length For Men
The perfect necklace length can vary depending on your style, outfit choice and body type. An 18 inch necklace is perfect for men with a neck size of between 13.5 and 14.5 inches. If your neck measures around 16-16.5 inches, a 20 inch necklace would work well. Finally, if you neck size is 17 - 18.5 inches, a 22 inch necklace would work perfectly.
It is also worth bearing in mind the outfit and type of necklace you would like to wear. A necklace with pendant such as our Dog Tag Necklace usually works great on a longer chain. However, a heavy link necklace such as our men's paperclip chain necklace works better on a shorter chain (18-20 inches).
Adjustable Necklace Length
If you can't decide which necklace length to choose, opt for an adjustable necklace which gives you the option to change the length easily. Our paperclip chain necklaces offers an adjustable option, ranging from 18 to 20 inches making it easier to wear with different outfits.
Choosing the right necklace length will elevate your everyday jewellery game. From a short choker necklace length to a long opera style necklace, there's a necklace length to suit every style. The most important thing to note is that you can wear any necklace length as long as it feels comfortable for you. Need more inspiration? Discover our collection of necklaces to find a necklace length to suit you.